Friday, January 06, 2012

Secrets of the Magic Ring

I enjoyed reading this story of a boy that finds a ring and what magical adventures happen with it.

My only concern which was a pretty big one was the amount of lying and hiding from his parents. The young boy is constantly telling the reader why he didn't share his adventure with his mom because he's afraid she'll take the ring away. And in fact in one chapter she does take it away rather than listening to his story. I would have preferred a more positive light for the parents to be in.

To get around that and let my daughter read it (she's 9), I told her why it wasn't the best book, and told her to notice how many times he lies or hides something from his parents. I told her that I always want her to think about things and let me know what's going on in her life.

She and I both enjoyed the adventure.

Note- because of the amount of lying, I recommend this book for ages 9 and up.

No comments: