Saturday, December 04, 2010

For the Temple: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem

by G. A. (George Alfred) Henty

G.A. Henty authored many historical novels in the 19th century, full of action and adventure.

I have read two or three of his novels on my new Kindle, and I am very impressed with the stories. Too often historical novels published nowadays are full of nonsense and romanticism. These books combine courage and valor with adventure and accuracy and I highly recommend them.

This particular one talks about the time around the Fall of Jerusalem to the Romans. From the perspective of a wholesome Jewish farmer-turned-soldier, we learn all about many historical characters.

One of the things I appreciate most is that Henty injects facts into his writing and makes sure the reader knows what is fiction.  I am looking forward to reading many more books by him.

2 comments:

Su said...

That sounds really cool! I'll have to add it to the list.

Caren said...

My hubby would love these.