Monday, November 22, 2010

In the Shadow of the Ark

As a Christian I have very strong beliefs about the truth and validity of the Bible. I believe in the historical accuracy of the Bible. If you do not agree, that's okay.

I was very dismayed at the portrayal of the account of Noah's Ark in this book.  I often read books that take liberties with history as far as the unwritten parts go, but this book goes even farther and directly contradicts the Bible in at least two very major points.

If you know me personally you know that I am often fuzzy on the details of things that I have read. Not so with this book.

The two areas that the book directly contradicts the Bible are as follows.

A.  The protagonists are not Jewish but come to the area where Noah is building the ark only to find that he's doing a pretty terrible job. Luckily the father of the protagonist is a shipbuilder and so he sets everyone straight. Sorry, but as a Christian I believe Noah was inspired by God to build the ark and that he knew how to do it correctly with God's help.

B.  (Spoiler) At the end of the book we find that there was a human stowaway on the Ark and also in another ship. I firmly believe that the account in the Bible is true and that there were ONLY 8 humans saved in the flood: Noah and his wife, and his three sons and their wives.

Because of these major discrepancies I cannot recommend this book.

1 comment:

Pryncss Briana said...

I really do appreciate your book reviews. I like that you are not afraid to tell what you didn't like about a book as well as what you did.

You warned me(unfavorable review) about Green, and then I won it, and then it took me a LONG time to get through it, and it stunk.

I am also honest about my reviews(when a friend asks) and so, it's still sitting on my shelf 'cause no one wants it! =P