Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Levi's Will

Levi's Will
W. Dale Cramer
ISBN 978 07642 07129

Contemporary fiction


WIN this book! Leave a comment on this post any time before Wednesday next and you could win the book.

This was a very good book about an Amish family and the choices they face. I have read a lot of fiction books about Amish and Mennonite people and sometimes they can be a little patronizing of the faith that these communities hold. Sort of an "aren't they so cute?" attitude. I admit I was worried that this book would be similar in that regard.

I was pleasantly surprised, however, to see the true respect and care that the author took towards the Amish faith. There was little, if any, patronizing attitude, and I felt that the author really loves and adores his Amish heritage. I appreciated the realism that was present in the book. The author speaks about his ancestry and I could really tell that this was a near and dear topic to his heart.

The book flips back and forth between two or three times in the protagonist's life in which pivotal things happen. He ends up leaving the Amish faith in a way that means he ought to be shunned. I felt this was a great book.

Recommended

WIN this book! Leave a comment on this post any time before Wednesday next and you could win the book.

1 comment:

Emma said...

This book sounds wonderful.Please enter me in the giveaway.augustlily06(at)aim(dot)com.Thank you.