Monday, October 26, 2009

The Stolen Voice: a Gil Cunningham Murder Mystery

by Pat McIntosh
ISBN 9781569475829

I read two historical mysteries this week, and of the two this one was not quite as good in terms of the writing. They are both parts of series, and I had never read the previous books in either series. It was interesting to be able to compare two books like that. This one is about a community in which people are disappearing and reappearing, and no one knows why. They are mostly all part of the singing community, hence the title. This takes place in the 14th or 15th century; I never was very clear which.

I felt that the way in which we were introduced to past events in other books and to some of the characters was a bit smug. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but some authors seem to have troubles with writing subsequent books and "casually" letting us know about prior events. I don't know how to change it for the better, but as a voracious reader it's jarring when I feel out of the loop or confused, yet I don't like being patronized with a two paragraph description, like they did in the Sweet Valley Twins books.

At any rate I enjoyed the story and especially the fact that the gore level was pretty low considering it was a murder mystery.

Recommended.

Do you ever experience the same thing when reading books that are part of a series? How do you think the author could fix the issue?

No comments: