Monday, September 14, 2009

Thimble Summer

by Elizabeth Enright
ISBN 9780312380021
Juvenile Fiction

Garnet Linden finds a thimble one summer and amazing things start happening. Is the thimble magic? The drought is ended, new friends arrive in the area, and many other amazing simple things happen.

I enjoyed this small chapter book. It reflects the careless free feeling in summer and the kids go on some fun adventures. One of the themes was a little more mature; probably would be good for a 9 or 10 year old rather than a 7 or 8 year old. One of the friends of the family has a mean guardian who often gets drunk and mistreats the boy. Nothing is described but it is not the most innocent of books.

Recommended for 9 and up.

1 comment:

MaureenHume said...

It always amazes me the how the most ordinary of things...a simple thimble... can become something quite different within the imagination of a good author. I think I'll have to track down this book so I can check this tricky thimble out for myself!
Maureen Hume. www.thepizzagang.com