Monday, September 14, 2009

The Saturdays

by Elizabeth Enright
ISBN: 0805070605

I know I keep writing about this author but she is just so excellent. If Carolyn Haywood is my new favorite author for 2nd and 3rd graders, Elizabeth Enright is my favorite for 4th and 5th graders. She treats children and their ideas with respect and with just the right amount of independence.

In this book the Melendy family decides to pool their resources and send one person with all of the family's allowance into the city each Saturday. This way each one has enough to do something really great. I loved the adventures that each child went on and I loved the way the author deftly deals with problems and issues the children encounter.

Highly recommended. 8 and 9 year olds.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Do I post here to enter to win?