Saturday, September 19, 2009

I Wonder Why

by Ruth Hummel
ISBN 0570084768

"The Concordia Sex Education Series"

I believe this book has also been revised and republished under another name but am not sure which. This book is for ages 6 to 8. It is the second in the series, after "Each One Specially".

As a parent of a 4 and 7 year old, I know it will be part of my job to teach my children how to view their bodies in relation to God's will for their lives. I looked at this book to see if it would be a good resource to teach my children about their bodies.

After comparing two series of Christian sex education books I have to say I prefer these over the others. I believe the authors do a good job of teaching children age-appropriate information without giving too much away. These editions are pretty dated in the illustrations but I think they have been republished with new illustrations.

This book is in a story form, with a dialogue between a mommy and her daughter. The mommy is pregnant and getting ready for the new baby. We learn that families have more love to give no matter how many live in the family, and that all families look different and are at different stages of growing up.

The family goes to the museum and learns about the miracle of birth. We learn that a woman has a uterus and that babies grow there, and that the mommy grows bigger as the baby grows bigger. We learn that when it's time for the baby to come out, the opening in the uterus gets bigger too. We learn that only women can be mommies, and only men can be daddies, but that everyone can be a pilot, or a cook, or a fireman.

We learn that babies need lots of care and lots of love, but that mommies and daddies have extra love for the older kids too.

We learn that every baby begins with a sperm from the daddy and an ovum from the mommy. When a man and a woman love each other, they get married, and sometimes hold each other very closely, and their bodies "fit together in a wonderful way." This is when a new baby can begin. I think that this is an age-appropriate amount of information to share about creating babies.

We also learn new vocabulary, such as v**gina, uterus, vu**va, p**nis, and te**ticles, and scr**tum.

We learn that new babies sometimes get their milk from their mommies breasts (an illustration of this is shown) and sometimes they drink from a bottle (also illustrated). We learn that this is all part of God's plan.

Overall I think that the amount of information given in this book is very appropriate for ages 6 to 8. I would definitely read this and discuss it with my children at this age. I would like to see the revised versions of these to see how the text and illustrations compare.

highly recommended.

1 comment:

Ruth Ann said...

Sarah, I have one of the newer versions of this book...it is called, Where Do Babies Come From", if you would like to take a look at it. Also, I just noticed on Amazon, it has yet been updated once again, and Ruth Hummel has seperated it into two books...one for boys and one for girls..interesting.