Saturday, September 19, 2009

God Made Your Body

By Jim Burns
97807642117

"Laying the foundations for healthy sexuality: an age appropriate resource for ages 3 to 5"

This is a new book from the Bethany House publishers. They sent it to me to review.

This is the first book in the series; the second one is "How God Makes Babies."

As a parent of a 4 and 7 year old, I know it will be part of my job to teach my children how to view their bodies in relation to God's will for their lives. I looked at this book to see if it would be a good resource to teach my children about their bodies.

This is the first in the series and is specifically geared towards children ages 3 to 5, although especially with this type of book I recommend previewing the book on your own first to make sure it only has topics you think your child is ready for. Each child matures at a different rate and its important to stay slightly ahead of them in their understanding yet not give them information that is too mature.

This book starts off by showing pictures of kids in all shapes and sizes. It talks about facial features and skin color and hair types all being different. Then it tells us that different kids like to do different things. Then we talk about what features God gave to both boys and girls (toes, etc.)

Then we find out that little boys have a p**nis and tes**icles (I have to put asterisks or I will be in google's search engine for topics that I don't want this blog to be focused on).

We find out that little girls have a v**gina and a womb. Each of these pages has a cartoonish diagram of the body parts talked about.

Then we find out that mommies and daddies come in all shapes and sizes.

One thing I think is a little too mature for even my 7 year old yet is the idea of "making love". I don't believe young children are ready for any types of euphemisms. For example I refused to teach my kids a euphemism for boogers for a long time because I didn't want them to use any of the vocabulary. I don't think my kids need to be asking me about "making love." This book just says that the mommy and daddy "come together" and giving parts of themselves to make a baby (sperm and egg).

Then it talks about babies growing in mommy's tummies and that most babies are born in hospitals. The way the author talks about these topics is, I think, very age-appropriate. Then we talk about different types of families, including adoption, grandmas and grandpas, and single parents. The idea of non-mainstream families (same-sex marriages, etc) is not specifically introduced.

I loved the pictures and illustrations in this book, and without the phrase "making love" I would wholeheartedly recommend this book. You decide for yourself if your 3 to 5 year old is ready for this book.

I personally prefer the book "Each One Specially" for this age group.

1 comment:

bp said...

Great review! I was interested in this book. I had clicked on this one to review and didn't get it as of yet. I wondered if they ran out or if I have to submit my other reviews first. I have two more to do from them to "catch up."