Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Fields of Grace

by Kim Vogel Sawyer
ISBN 9780764205088

Historical Christian Fiction

Fields of Grace is a bittersweet book about making the best of hard situations. Reinhardt and Lillian Vogt leave their home in Russia to make a new life in America. The family encounters many hardships on their way to Kansas but their faith in God stays strong. I liked the Mennonite history although sometimes the italicized vocabulary got a little old. I would have preferred the new words to be in the back for me to look up if I wanted to.

I also really enjoy stories of pioneering. It's neat to see how different communities could have been formed and how families adjusted to life on the prairie.

God's grace is a major theme in the book. Not only does He save us from our sins, but this grace also means that He is continually renewing us, day by day.

I was able to glean some wisdom about dealing with grief. I appreciated that.

Overall it was definitely worth my time and fit in nicely with its genre.

No comments: