Saturday, September 19, 2009

Each One Specially

By Carol Greene
057008475x

Concordia Sex Education Series for ages 3 to 5
This is the first in the series; the second is "I Wonder Why."

I believe this book has been revised and republished to be "How Boys and Girls are Different" with the ISBN 978-0758614155, but I'm not sure how well they compare.

This book is the one my parents had when they were teaching me about my body, and I personally prefer it to the other one I reviewed today, "God Made Your Body."

As a parent of a 4 and 7 year old, I know it will be part of my job to teach my children how to view their bodies in relation to God's will for their lives. I looked at this book to see if it would be a good resource to teach my children about their bodies.

This is the first in the series and is specifically geared towards children ages 3 to 5, although especially with this type of book I recommend previewing the book on your own first to make sure it only has topics you think your child is ready for. Each child matures at a different rate and it's important to stay slightly ahead of them in their understanding, yet not give them information that is too mature.

This book starts off by saying that different kids like to do different things, but that God made all kids.

Then we learn that God gave us different parts of our bodies (mouths, ears, etc.).

Then we learn that God gave girls a v**gina and boys a p**nis. (I have to put asterisks or I will be in google's search engine for topics that I don't want this blog to be focused on).

Then we learn that there are lots of "shes" and "hes" in our lives and that they do all kinds of different things, like paint or drive a truck.

How did God make us? We learn that sometimes a man and a woman love each other, get married, and decide to have a baby. Then the baby grows inside the mommy, and that after nine months the baby comes out of the mommy's v**gina.

Then we learn about different types of families, small ones and big ones, etc. They do different things together. God also puts us into a church family (I liked that they talked about this).

I appreciated that the book gives children some proper vocabulary without giving too many details. I recommend this book for ages 3 to 5. You decide for yourself if your 3 to 5 year old is ready for this book.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

This is a great book. Read it to my 4 year old when she seemed very interested in boy parts and girl parts. The next book in the series we will wait for a couple years as it is more graphic.

Wendy said...

Thanks for the reviews, Sarah! I think I'll get this book when M starts asking more questions.