Monday, October 27, 2008

The Silver Crown

by Robert C O'Brien
ISBN: 0689841116

Genre: children fantasy

I picked up this book because it's the same author as Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh, and as a child I really enjoyed Nimh. I was not really impressed with The Silver Crown, though. It's an adventure tale of a little girl who wakes up on her birthday and ends up going on a journey to find her aunt and escape from the mean people.

While occasionally I do enjoy a good adventure tale, my preference is for a little hope and comedic relief. Harry Potter was right up my alley until the last three, which got a little dark for my taste but I had to read them because it's Harry Potter!

So this one is fairly well written, and the plot makes sense. It's just too sad, and too dark. I would not recommend it for a child under 12. Just like I wouldn't recommend Lemony Snicket for a child at all. I'm just like that.

No comments: