Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Princess and Curdie

by George MacDonald
ISBN: 0140367624

Genre: Young adult fantasy

Oh, The Princess and the Goblin is my favorite stand-alone children's book. I have had the most beautifully illustrated edition of it for years and years. The pictures are fantastic. This book is the sequel to the Princess and the Goblin. I have never liked it quite as well and this last time I re-read it I understood why. The beautiful edition I have must be abridged to be easier to read. It was originally published in the 1800s.

The Princess and Curdie is complete and unabridged. If you can follow the writing (long sentences, etc) it is a lovely story too. It is not a tame book, just as Aslan is not a tame lion. There are gruesome parts to it. But it is all telling a story, a moral story, to help you realize the benefits of living honestly and with God as your leader.

One of the most interesting parts is when Curdie (the protagonist) is given a gift. He is able to tell by taking someone's hand whether that person is a good and upright person, or whether the person is degenerating into an animal on the inside.

Extremely good read, although it did hurt my brain to read 1800s style writing.

9 out of 10

No comments: