Sunday, May 18, 2008

Nickel and Dimed

by Barbara Ehrenreich
ISBN 0805063897
Genre: Non-fiction, current events

The author does a social experiment where she tries to live on minimum wage in three different United States cities.

This book brings up all kinds of questions and really makes you think about the prejudices or pre-conceived ideas you might have about poor people- why are they poor? Why don't they just get a better job? Can't they budget their money?

While there are some problems with the experiment, the author realizes those problems as well and explains her methods.

A great read.

8 out of 10- recommended

5 comments:

Amy said...

Okay, you got me. Can I borrow this book?

Angela O. said...

What are the three different cities?

Sarah said...

The cities are in Key West, Florida; Portland, Maine; and Minneapolis, Minnesota.

arootbeer said...

I enjoyed this book as well, there was a very sad passage about her experience as a waitress and "Christians" she waited on.

Kim P. said...

I highly recommend this book! I've even lent it out to friends. One of the only books I read in college that I thought was excellent. It really does make you think.