Thursday, February 07, 2008

The Road

Author: Cormac McCarthy
ISBN-10: 0307387895

This book is pretty good. I read it all last night in one big chunk because it was so compelling. It is an apocalyptic, stream of consciousness, eerie book about a man and his son. Though the topic was somewhat depressing I found myself unable to put it down because I simply had to know the end of the road. The author portrayed the little boy very well and I just had to finish it. It was haunting.

I don't know if I love it, and I know it's a sad book rather than a happy one, but I definitely recommend it.

8 out of 10

Mature readers only.

3 comments:

Lady Arden said...

I've read this one! I really enjoyed it as a haunting yet sweet story too. It's a different post-apocalypse approach than most writers take for sure, but seemed very realistic. Amazing how much detail was communicated, and yet people and places didn't really have names.

Rustypants said...

this was the first book i'd read by mccarthy. my dad raved about it and a couple other folks gave it thumbs up. i jumped into it with gusto but i have to say that when then last page hit, i was underwhelmed. the story itself was ok (and it was just a story) but the ending seemed too... trite? easy?

Pendullum said...

I will give it a whirl!